Thursday, March 5, 2009

On vacation...

Sally has gone on a vacation. I took her back to the animal shelter this morning. Why you say?? Well, she had started sneezing last Thursday and over the weekend it continued to get worse and she stopped eating. I took her to a vet in Tomball to have her looked at and they said for $300.00 they could treat her and send her home with medicine. I said, no thank you!! I called the animal shelter and they told me I could take her to a vet that works with the shelter and have her treated for free. This was a good idea to me, so after school the kids and I went to the vet and he gave her some nose drops, antibiotic, and a pill to increase her appetite. When we came home from the vet we started the regime: drops in the nose, put her in the bathroom with the HOT water running so the humidity could help to clear her up, then the appetite pill and the antibiotic. The vet suggested that we feed her canned food and warm it up in the microwave because if a cat can't smell their food, they will not eat. I did this and let me tell you the house smelled real nice. She still did not eat, just laid down on her bed and tried to cry and purr. This continued until this morning, when I had decided I could not be responsible for killing the cat because she was not getting ANY better with all the stuff I was trying. I had started to force her to drink water by using a syringe and forcing it down her throat and last night she had a sneezing fit that ended up with blood coming from her nose. I took her in to the animal shelter, where I was planning on just returning her and the vet there looked at me and said it can take up to 7 days to 2 weeks, I thought really. I am not sure she would have lived without eating for two weeks. I left sad and feeling guilty about having handed her over to what I thought would be certain death. After running a few errands and talking to Paul, I decided I would call the shelter and talk to the vet about Sally. He said that they would continue to care for her and see how she does, if they have to put her down they will call me and tell me, and if they are able to bring life back to her, they will call me and let me come back to pick her up. So she is on vacation. I told Nathan and Kayla that I was taking Sally back to the vet because I am not able to take care of her here and they can do a better job. I told them that she is VERY sick and would not be coming home again. Kayla was sad, but she was quick to ask if we could get another kitty.

1 comment:

  1. Jeepers! That is too bad. Keep us updated - I wonder if they'll figure out what is wrong with her...

    ReplyDelete